Saturday, June 19, 2010

Ouch!

The organization of the yarn stash has begun, as well as the reorganization of my apartment. What I tend to forget is that, well, given how heavy most my furniture is, not being that big or muscular, I should probably have help when moving it about. So, Ouch!

When he moved out my neighbor downstairs was kind enough to give me a very large lawyer's desk from the 1920's. He was also kind enough to carry it up the stairs for me as I wasn't able to lift it. Because it weighs a ton. A metric ton. My bed also weighs a metric ton but is, (supposedly), easily taken apart for easy moving. Or so it said in the assembly instructions. Instructions often lie. As do patterns, albeit unintentionally. People who write patterns make mistakes. I've made mistakes when writing patterns. Editors make mistakes. Data entry makes mistakes. This leads to errata. We've all struggled with knitting patterns that have errata, becoming frustrated enough to trek to our LYS, holding the offending article out to the staff, crying "what am I doing wrong?!"

I have a little rule of thumb that I follow when I come across a pattern that has one of these little problems: I rip back, try it again, and if the same thing happens, I run the numbers on my handy, dandy calculator. If they don't come out right I immediately check the website for errata. (If there is a problem the corrections should be on the publisher's website.) Over the years I've come across errata from translation mistakes, miscalculations, parts of instructions left out completely, (once half a pattern was missing!), and just bad editing, (leaving out a word in a pattern can be as disastrous as leaving out part of a recipe.) A friend of mine automatically checks for errata on the publisher's website whenever she buys a pattern book, doesn't matter who wrote or published it, she checks.

I can't count the times I had a frustrated knitter come in with a project and pattern that just didn't work. This was one of the best parts of working in a yarn store, (along with the discount!), taking a frustrating project and turning it around. Just because it's been published doesn't mean it's right every time. If it's not coming out right put it down, go to your LYS or friend and ask them to take a look at it. Always get a second opinion! Don't be afraid to ask. ( Believe it or not, I've had people who are. As my Dad says, it never hurts to ask! A wise, wise man, my Dad.)

Best thrift store deal this week! I've been wanting a stripy sailor shirt like the ones you always see in French movies and today I found one in my local thrift! Authentic and everything! Unworn and only $5! (Whenever I buy something I always look at the little tag sewn in the side seam to check the content. Content and care all in le francais!) Thank you thrift store shopping gods!









No comments:

Post a Comment